Aston Villa line up new Gomez move amid ‘huge’ Gerrard verdict - Sources

By Wayne Veysey

24th Jan, 2022 | 7:22am

Sources: Aston Villa line up new Gomez move amid ‘huge’ Gerrard verdict

Aston Villa have not given up hope of prising Joe Gomez from Liverpool this month, Football Insider understands.

The Midlands giants registered their interest in the centre-back earlier in the window as the look to strengthen their defence before the cut-off.

A Villa source has told Football Insider that Steven Gerrard’s side will make another move for Gomez, 24, this week.

The manager is said to be a “huge admirer” of Gomez and retains hope a deal can be done.

The England international has slipped to fourth in the centre-back pecking order at Liverpool this season after missing most of last term with a knee injury.

Liverpool are likely to offload one senior centre-back before the 31 January cut-off.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

That has long expected to be Nat Phillips, who has been given the green light by Jurgen Klopp to secure a permanent or loan move.

Phillips has been the subject of a failed £7million bid from Watford as well as interest from the likes of PSV Eindhoven.

But there is also uncertainty over the future of Gomez, who has seen Joel Matip and 2021 signing Ibrahim Konate leapfrog him in the pecking order at Anfield.   

The England international was Jurgen Klopp’s preferred partner for Virgil van Dijk in the title-winning 2019-20 campaign.

Speaking to club media in January of that season, Klopp heaped praise on Gomez and labelled him “a sensational footballer”.

The centre-half has made just 12 appearances this season.

He was a late substitute in Liverpool’s 3-1 win at Crystal Palace on Sunday.

Villa are in the market for a centre-back after Axel Tuanzebe cut short his season-long loan spell at the club to join Napoli.

In other news, a pundit has predicted Aston Villa could complete a bargain forward signing after a ‘great’ update.