Sources: Leicester set to accept Barnes offer as Newcastle make move
Leicester will find it hard to keep Newcastle target Harvey Barnes at the club following their relegation to the Championship, sources have told Football Insider.
A well-placed source has told this site that bids are “fully expected” to be lodged for the 25-year-old in the upcoming summer window.
And it is believed the Foxes’ perilous financial situation will mean they are forced to sanction an exit for Barnes.
The Midlands side posted a huge £92.5million loss for the 2021-22 season in their most recent financial results.
Additionally, the Foxes head into the Championship with the 21st-highest wage bill in world football.
Football Insider revealed on Sunday (28 May) that Barnes is “keen” on joining Newcastle – who have been monitoring his situation in the 2022-23 campaign.
Get Exclusive transfers news at Football Insider's YouTube TV channel
Sources also told this site on 11 April that Tottenham are keeping tabs on the England international.
Aston Villa have also been credited with an interest in Barnes in recent weeks, with The Independent claiming (24 May) they “lead the race” for his signature.
The 25-year-old managed a healthy return of 13 goals and three assists in 40 games across all competitions despite Leicester’s relegation.
His contract at the King Power Stadium runs until June 2025.
Barnes is not the only Leicester star expected to depart following their relegation.
Football Insider revealed earlier this month (6 May) that up to ten Foxes stars could quit in the off-season – including James Maddison.
Sources told this site on Wednesday (31 May) that Tottenham are hopeful of beating Newcastle and Arsenal to Maddison’s signature despite not having a manager in place.
In other news, Newcastle to open talks over 18-goal striker deal.