Sources: Newcastle United now turn attention to beating Liverpool to Thuram signing
Newcastle United are set to turn their attention to alternative targets after receiving no encouragement in their pursuit of Inter Milan star Nicolo Barella, sources have told Football Insider.
It is believed Nice star Khéphren Thuram is admired by the Magpies – who are in the market for a box-office midfielder this summer.
Football Insider revealed on Saturday (16 June) that Barella is not keen on a potential move to Newcastle – with only one of the Premier League’s “big boys” capable of prising him away from Inter.
That is not the only sticking point in negotiations – with the Tyneside club also only willing to pay a fee of £50million for the Italian’s services.
Football Insider revealed on Friday (16 June) that Inter are keen to hold out for £70million for the 26-year-old.
As such, Newcastle are ready to move on to alternatives following the transfer window’s opening on Wednesday (14 June).
Nice midfielder Thuram is a player admired by transfer chiefs at St James’ Park.
Sources told Football Insider last week (10 June) that Liverpool are in preliminary talks with the France Under-21 international about a possible move to Anfield.
It is believed the 22-year-old could cost would-be suitors a fee of just over £35million.
Thuram, who is out of contract on the French Riviera in just two years’ time, notched two goals and eight assists in 48 appearances in all competitions in the 2022-23 campaign.
He will play for France’s Under-21 side in this summer’s European Championships in Georgia – starting with Les Bleus’ first fixture against Italy on 22 June.
Newcastle will play Champions League football in the 2023-24 campaign for the first time in 20 years – while potential transfer rivals Liverpool are in the Europa League.