By Wayne Veysey

17th Feb, 2021 | 12:37pm

Sources: Rangers plan for Ofoborh arrival revealed as Zungu & co frozen out

Rangers rejected the chance to sign Nnamdi Ofoborh immediately in the recent window as they have a clear plan for him to first learn his trade at Wycombe Wanderers, Football Insider has been told.

The Glasgow giants announced the day after the January window had shut they had signed the 21-year-old on a pre-contract ahead of the summer window.

It came after Rangers had sealed the pre-contract captures of Scott Wright and Jack Simpson in the previous week before fast-forwarding those two deals into permanent deadline-day captures.

Ibrox sources have told Football Insider that Rangers had also discussed with Ofoborh’s parent club Bournemouth the option of bringing forward his arrival.

But that was knocked back as Steven Gerrard and the recruitment team led by Ross Wilson felt the youngster’s development was best served by playing regularly in the Championship in the second half of the campaign.

There has been a suggestion his arrival could be brought forward as Steven Gerrard confirmed that five Rangers players, including first-team midfielder Bongani Zungu, have breached Covid-19 rules.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

The quintet – who also include Nathan Patterson, Calvin Bassey and youngsters Brian Kinnear and Dapo Mebude – are self-isolating and face uncertain futures at Ibrox.

Football Insider revealed 24 hours after it broke the news of the illegal party that Rangers are weighing up plans to suspend the lockdown breachers for the rest of the season.

But Rangers regard Ofoborh as behind the more experienced duo Wright and Simpson in his career path.

That duo have slotted into the Rangers first-team squad while the younger man has made three starts for Wycombe this month.

It is Ofoborh’s second spell at the Championship club after playing on loan during their successful League One promotion campaign last season.

Rangers had a major say in the youngster returning to Wycombe.

As revealed by Football Insider there was also interest in him from Sheffield Wednesday, Watford, Rotherham United, Lincoln City, Portsmouth and Charlton Athletic.

The versatile operator, who can play in defence and midfield, started three Championship matches upon returning to Wycombe but has been an unused substitute for the last two.

Football Insider revealed last month that the midfielder had rejected two new contract offers from Bournemouth before agreeing to join Rangers.

Cross-border rules allowed the runaway Scottish Premiership leaders to secure Ofoborh’s signature from January for a fee of just £300,000.

In other news, Rangers senior stars have ripped into party four who broke lockdown rules as dressing room reaction revealed.