Spurs Source: What Mourinho said after being offered chance to re-sign Eriksen
Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho has privately made it clear he does not want to re-sign Christian Eriksen in the January window, Football Insider has learned.
The Denmark international’s move to Inter Milan has not worked out and chief executive Giuseppe Marotta has said he is all but certain to leave in the upcoming window.
This site revealed earlier this month that intermediaries have offered Eriksen to his former club Spurs as well as other leading Premier League sides.
But a romantic return to Spurs is not currently on the cards for the playmaker.
A club source has told Football Insider that Mourinho has said “no thanks” to the possibility of launching a move for Eriksen.
The Portugese believes Tottenham are well stocked in attacking midfield positions, including in the central slot where the Dane was mainly used during his seven years at the club.
Eriksen joined Inter in a £16.9million deal in January after telling Spurs he would not sign the contract extension he had been offered.
Chairman Daniel Levy told the Dane in a meeting broadcast in the recent Amazon documentary that he was willing to match any salary offered to the player.
But Eriksen still quit and headed to Inter on a £200,000-a-week contract.
The Serie A giants are keen to trim their wage bill and need to raise funds through player sales or offloading big earners on loan.
“If by January Eriksen has played little, he will himself ask to leave,” Marotta told Sky Italy.
“We have to do it without any controversy from one side or the other, simply by considering it as a positive transfer move that has not been functioning for our technical-tactical needs.”
At Inter, Eriksen has not made the impact that Antonio Conte and the Inter hierarchy had hoped.
He has failed to score or assist from his nine appearances this season, and had just five minutes as a late substitute in Friday’s 3-0 win at Sassuolo.