(Credit: Getty Images)
(Credit: Getty Images)

Stefan Borson reveals Crystal Palace punishment after Evangelos Marinakis controversy

James Murray

James holds a degree in Sports Journalism and Communications (MA) from the Real Madrid Graduate School. He has experience working for a number of local news outlets as well as the Sunday Mirror and Real Madrid TV. James is from Scunthorpe and has an affinity with Scunthorpe United, but is also a huge West Ham supporter and an expert on all things to do with the Hammers. He started working for Breaking Media in July 2023, initially writing on the Club Sites, where he specialised in West Ham content, before moving to Football Insider – where he is now an expert in football finance, speaking regularly with Stefan Borson and Keith Wyness to generate high-quality content in all things related to finance in the Premier League, Football League, and Scottish Premiership.

Published on

Crystal Palace are likely to receive a fine after fans displayed a banner aimed towards Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis. 

The banner, which showed the Greek billionaire holding a gun to Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White’s head, read: “Mr Marinakis is not involved in blackmail, match-fixing, drug trafficking or corruption!”. 

The incident occured during Palace’s 1-1 draw with Forest at Selhurst Park on 24 August, with The FA now conducting an investigation into the matter. 

Former PGMOL chief Keith Hackett told Football Insider the Palace banner was “totally unacceptable”, while he called on the governing body to “take action”. 

The Gibbs-White image was included after Forest blocked his move to Tottenham in July, with the England international eventually signing a new deal at the City Ground. 

Evangelos Marinakis, Nottingham Forest
Crystal Palace fans displayed a banner aimed at Evangelos Marinakis (Credit: Imago)

Crystal Palace fans 'went too far' after controversial incident

This article contains exclusive comment from Stefan Borson, a former financial adviser to Man City.

The incident occurred after tensions have been high between Palace and Forest over the past couple of months. 

Palace were demoted from the Europa League to the Conference League by Uefa following multi-club ownership issues surrounding former co-owner John Textor

Forest will now play in the Europa League instead of Palace, whose appeal was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) last month.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider about the banner, Borson said: “It's just a small fine, warned of their future conduct and, ultimately, the club will try and control fans bringing flags in. 

“But it's not that easy to control. 

“I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup really, but there's always a line. 

“Certain things you can't say. 

“It's probably gone a bit too far that one. 

“Ultimately, it's not going to be a very significant fine, is it?” 

Crystal Palace owner Steve Parish in attendance at Selhurst Park
Steve Parish has been left frustrated following Crystal Palace's demotion from the Europa League (Credit: Imago)

Marc Guehi deal collapses after Crystal Palace twist

In terms of transfer activity, Marc Guehi saw his move to Liverpool collapse on transfer deadline day (1 September).

Palace had agreed to sell their captain to the Reds in a £35million deal, but it fell through after Oliver Glasner’s side failed to sign a replacement. 

Guehi will now remain at Selhurst Park until at least the January transfer window, with his contract set to expire in June 2026. 

For more Crystal Palace and exclusive news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone

www.footballinsider247.com