Tarkowski 'first through the door' at Tottenham in January after source reveal - pundit
Frank McAvennie insists Antonio Conte’s first Tottenham signing will be a central defender like James Tarkowski.
The former West Ham hitman, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, claims the backline is a problem area for the new Spurs boss.
A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Burnley will listen to offers for Tarkowski, 28, in January and Tottenham have joined West Ham and Newcastle in targeting him.
His contract is set to expire next summer which could see him move for a cut-price fee in January.
He has played every minute of Burnley’s Premier League campaign so far this season and scored one goal.
McAvennie claims Tarkowski would instantly improve the Tottenham defence.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
“A defender like Tarkowski, he is first through the door,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“Conte will have known that going in. He’s not blind. He will have been keeping an eye on the scores and seen Tottenham shipping too many goals.
“I could go on until the cows come home about how bad that defence is.
“They have a world-class attack in Kane and Son, you can’t deny that.
“They then have a decent enough midfield and a poor defence. It just makes sense to get someone in there.
“Tarkowski, would he do it? He would be an improvement for sure.”
Tottenham conceded two soft goals during Thursday’s 3-2 win over Vitesse, their first game under Conte.
To make matters worse for the new boss, defender Cristian Romero was sent off in the second half.