By Harry Sykes
Liverpool have tabled a jaw-dropping £70million-plus bid for Monaco attacker Thomas Lemar in a fresh to sign him by Thursday, according to a report.
The Telegraph claim that the Merseyside giants have submitted the massive second offer as they try to land the France international by the transfer deadline.
It is said that Liverpool are “pushing hard” to sign Lemar as they are aware that the player would like to leave and move to the Premier League.
The Telegraph report that the club have returned to the negotiating table after their initial bid of £55million was rejected by Monaco.
Liverpool fans will be delighted not only at the huge impetus to land the France international, 22, but also that the club’s pursuit is unrelated to Philippe Coutinho.
The newspaper claim the Premier League giants are “not reconsidering” whether to offload the wantaway Brazilian playmaker, who is keen to join Barcelona.
Lemar has been a long-term target for Arsenal, but the Gunners have seen a number of bids rejected and manager Arsene Wenger last week said that the transfer was “dead”.
Lemar was in dazzling form for Monaco last season as they won the Ligue 1 title.
He netted 14 goals and supplied 17 assists in 55 appearances across all competitions.
Football Insider Verdict
What a signing Lemar would be. Super-quick, super-skilful and with his best years ahead of him, this creator and scorer would add another cutting edge to an already impressive front line. Liverpool blew a tepid Arsenal away on Sunday, but all visitors won’t be so meek and last season showed how they struggled to break down well-organised defences. Klopp is a master of coaching attacking teams, and Lemar would provide him with another potentially dazzling forward.
In other Liverpool transfer news, Liverpool lead the chase to sign Oxlade-Chamberlain following a major development but told they must pay £40million and £1 to seal the deal.