Folarin Balogun celebrating at World Cup with Roberto De Zerbi on sideline right inset
Folarin Balogun could be playing under Roberto De Zerbi Imago

'There's a cloud over this deal' - ex-Tottenham scout shares Folarin Balogun verdict

Published on

Folarin Balogun is not the player Tottenham Hotspur need to improve their forward line this summer.

That is the opinion of former senior Tottenham scout, Bryan King, speaking exclusively to Football Insider.

The Lilywhites have reportedly made the 25-year-old a priority signing in the final weeks of the transfer window, and he is said to be open to the move.

Balogun scored 19 goals across all competitions last season and netted three goals for the United States at the World Cup, although his tournament was marred by controversy.

The former Arsenal striker had been sent off against Bosnia and Herzegovina but in an unprecedented and highly controversial move, saw his suspension suspended so he could feature in the round of 16 stage against Belgium.

Balogun is under contract until 2028 at Monaco, and would likely cost in the region of £50million.

Tottenham may consider Mikey Moore form in Folarin Balogun talks

Tottenham have also been heavily linked with Cody Gakpo and Savinho this summer, although both deals appear to be complicated.

The Brazilian has made it clear that he would like to make the switch, but progress on a deal has been slow.

Gakpo, on the other hand, is currently deemed not for sale by the Reds, but it remains to be seen how that stance may change if a deal for Bradley Barcola is completed.

"Of course, they're after the American boy as well, aren't they? Well, they're reputedly after him. Former Arsenal, isn't he? I mean, there's always a cloud over an Arsenal-Tottenham deal, isn't there," King told Football Insider.

"I mean, the players that have made that transition have been really, really top-top. You know, Sol Campbell and Pat Jennings as examples.

"I'm not so sure about this bloke here, to be honest. I really am not sure whether he's the sort of player that Spurs need, because, you know, he's a front player again.

"Now they've got young Mikey Moore, and all of a sudden he's in the team and he's playing and he's scoring."

Folarin Balogun celebrating at World Cup with Roberto De Zerbi on sideline right inset
Tottenham's updated stance on Folarin Balogun deal revealed

What is next for Mikey Moore?

Moore spent last season on loan with Rangers, and a deal has been lined up to allow him to join FC Koln.

Roberto De Zerbi is yet to sign off on the deal, however, with the 19-year-old currently left in limbo.

On Saturday, the winger scored twice in Tottenham's last pre-season friendly, against Hoffenheim, and has seemingly given serious consideration to the thought of him staying put this summer.

Moore would likely kill a move for an alternative attacker, although it remains unclear exactly what Tottenham will do in the final days of the window.

www.footballinsider247.com