'Absolutely Massive News for West Ham' - Exclusive: Bent reacts to big development
It is “massive news” for West Ham United to tie star man Michail Antonio to a new contract, according to Darren Bent.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, the former England striker hailed the versatile forward as one of the best players of 2020 at any club.
The Londoners confirmed last week the 30-year-old has put pen to paper on a new contract that runs until the summer of 2023.
We are pleased to announce that @Michailantonio has extended his stay with the Club until the summer of 2023.
— West Ham United (@WestHam) December 18, 2020
This site revealed on Saturday Antonio is set to net £9million across his two-and-a-half year deal.
Bent told Football Insider: “For me, he’s been so influential in the way West Ham play and it’s funny because we were casting our votes about who’s been the best player in 2020 and he completely slipped my mind.
“When I think about what he did at the back end the last season, to keep them up, the four goals, I think it was against Norwich, what he did back in that season, the goals and the way he started off this season, he would definitely be in the running.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“The fact that they’ve managed to tie him down to this long contract is massive for West Ham. We’ve seen how important he is. I know, to be fair, maybe the form of Antonio has maybe given Haller a kick up the backside, because the last couple of games Haller, I mean the overhead kick, what a goal that was.
“Antonio, absolutely massive news for West Ham and, as I said, he definitely deserves to be talked about getting into the England squad because he’s played so, so well, he’s so unpredictable.
“And, I think he’s something that we haven’t got in the international scene so that’s well played West Ham.”