Exclusive: Pundit makes bold West Ham transfer claim amid worrying Moyes reveal
David Moyes is struggling to find a new striker but the transfer situation is “no risk” to West Ham as Michail Antonio is on red-hot form, says Michael Brown.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Premier League star was reacting after Moyes revealed that the club were finding it difficult to recruit a centre-forward following Sebastien Haller’s Ajax departure which left Antonio as the club’s only recognised striker.
The 57-year-old Hammers boss believes the £22.25million sum the club received for Haller earlier in the window is making negotiations harder, telling the Standard on Saturday: “The minute people know you have a bit of money it makes it harder to go and get a deal.”
West Ham had a £22.5m bid for Sevilla’s Youssef En-Nesyri rejected last Monday and while other strikers have been linked, Moyes appears no closer to finding his man.
Brown, however, says Hammers fans shouldn’t worry that Antonio remains the club’s only centre-forward as on current form the 30-year-old has enough firepower to see them through.
Asked what he made of Moyes revelation that he was finding it difficult to find a striker amid a continued search, Brown told Football Insider: “There’s no risk. We’ve seen other clubs take people on loan with the option to buy, maybe they could do something like that. But I don’t think they need to take a risk in the transfer market.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“He’s got Michail Antonio leading the line. He’s firing at the moment. They’re in a great position in the league and if he [Antonio] can keep it up then long may it continue.
“It’s a shame the supporters aren’t there to see it. The only time they were allowed in, they lost.”
West Ham are flying high in the league, sitting in a Champions League spot after 20 matches.
The East London side are unbeaten in eight across all competitions, keeping five clean sheets in the same period.