By Wayne Veysey

27th Jan, 2020 | 6:51am

West Ham want to sell £50K-a-wk player who started on Saturday after U-turn - Sources

West Ham are ready to offload Carlos Sanchez this week if they can end their lengthy pursuit of a new central midfield signing, Football Insider can reveal.

The Premier League outfit have held talks with multiple midfield targets this month but have yet to agree a deal.

A West Ham source has told Football Insider that the club will step up efforts ahead of Friday’s transfer cut-off after David Moyes made clear he wants reinforcements in the centre of the pitch.

The manager told the hierarchy last week he did not want to sell any senior players before the end of this window as he feels the squad is lacking numbers as well as quality.

But Moyes has made a U-turn over Sanchez after starting him in Saturday’s 1-0 FA Cup defeat to West Brom.

The Colombia international, 33, was hauled off at half-time and replaced by skipper Mark Noble as the Hammers lost at home to the Championship leaders.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Sanchez’s £50,000-a-week deal, signed when he joined in the summer of 2018, expires at the end of the season.

He has made just 17 senior appearances in 18 months at the London Stadium, starting just a single Premier League match this season.

Sanchez is available for a knockdown fee of around £1million this month but will only leave if Moyes is able to bring in a new central midfielder.

In other West Ham news, Kevin Phillips has exclusively told Football Insider he “knows for a fact” club are trying to sign Hammers attacker.