By Danny Wright

10th Aug, 2017 | 11:01am

Benitez holds talks with PL defender as Newcastle hope to seal another signing - reliable journalist

By Danny Wright

Rafa Benitez held talks with Chelsea defender Kenedy in London on Wednesday ahead of a possible move to Newcastle, according to a reliable journalist.

The Newcastle Chronicle’s chief sports writer Lee Ryder claimed on his personal Twitter account on Thursday morning that the Magpies are hoping to complete the deal “in due course” as Benitez looks to continue his overhaul of the squad.

The Daily Mail has recently reported that Newcastle were looking to land the Premier League 21-year-old on a loan deal after he had been forced to train alone.

Kenedy was at the centre of controversy during Chelsea’s pre-season tour of China when he found himself sent home after posting an offensive message on social media.

The left-back is now said to be facing an uncertain future at Stamford Bridge after this summer’s developments.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

This won’t be the first time that Newcastle have done business with Chelsea this summer, having already snapped up Christian Atsu on a permanent deal after he enjoyed a good loan spell at St. James’ Park in the Championship last term.

Florian Lejeune, Jacob Murphy, Javier Manquillo and Mikel Merino have all been signed up by the Magpies, who have been looking to make big changes to their squad ahead of their return to the Premier League.

Football Insider Verdict

Benitez has shown a lot of intent by holding personal talks with Kenedy in London. Newcastle are playing at home this weekend so it says a lot that the Spaniard has travelled down to the capital in order to convince the Brazilian that a move to St. James’ Park will be right for him. The Magpies boss has made it clear that he has been left frustrated by the transfer market this summer, but that doesn’t mean he should be settling for players like Kenedy, who has shown that he might not have the right attitude to make it as a top-flight footballer in England. 

In other Newcastle news, Benitez is set to omit this 2015/16 mainstay from his 25-man squad.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Newcastle breaking news.