Ex-refs chief concerned by ‘damaging’ trend amid Lucas Digne ‘red card’ controversy vs Newcastle

Referees across England must stamp down on dangerous studs-up challenges after Lucas Digne avoided a red card against Newcastle United.

That is according to former PGMOL chief and ex-FIFA referee, Keith Hackett, who exclusively told Football Insider that Chris Kavanagh should have sent the Aston Villa defender off at Villa Park.

The French international was also at the centre of controversy when blatantly handling the ball inside the penalty area, only for a free-kick to be awarded on the edge of the box on Saturday, 14 February.

Hackett has raised concerns over studs-up challenges previously, many of which have gone unpunished in the Premier League, and this was no different, with no VAR to save the Premier League-level referee.

Lucas Digne was only shown a yellow card for this challenge on Jacob Murphy
Credit: BBC Sport

Chris Kavanagh to blame again as Lucas Digne avoids red card

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider about a trend in studs-up challenges, the former referee said: “I am concerned. I’ve said it in the past that these low-level challenges are seen as acceptable.

“But they’re just as damaging. Digne’s foul didn’t fall into any other category in law other than serious foul play. It met the criteria very clearly. He’s come in late, at pace, and the landing area is on the shin. 

“It’s endangered the safety of an opponent. There’s no question in my mind that this is a red card. These referees officiate in competitions without VAR. 

Chris Kavanagh
Chris Kavanagh’s refereeing skills have been called into question following the game at Villa Park. (Credit Imago)

“I’ve no doubt that Kavanagh is fit, but this is about work rate and viewing angles. It’s a clear red card for serious foul play. Full stop. He got away with it.” 

Wayne Rooney blasts ‘worst decision I’ve ever seen’ at Villa Park

While there is absolutely no way that Digne should have been allowed to continue in the FA Cup fourth round, it was the full-back who was involved in yet another contentious moment.

Wayne Rooney as absolutely furious with Kavanagh and his officials after somehow awarding a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area despite the handball clearly taking place inside.

The refereeing performance was far from ideal, and one that Howard Webb should be paying attention to ahead of the next round of Premier League fixtures.

To read more expert analysis on Aston Villa and Lucas Digne, head to Villa News for all the latest