Keith Hackett makes his feelings clear over controversial Zrinjski Mostar penalty decision vs Crystal Palace

Keith Hackett has agreed with referee Manfredas Lukjancukas’ decision not to award a penalty to Zrinjski Mostar in their 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace.

The Eagles oversaw another poor result in the Europa Conference League on Thursday as they drew in their first leg of the knockout playoffs.

However, it could have been a lot worse for Oliver Glasner’s side, with the visitors having a late penalty scare go against them.

Read more: ‘This is what’s next for Jean-Philippe Mateta’, Oliver Glasner confirms next steps

Keith Hackett: Referee did well to penalise Zrinjski Mostar for a high boot

Towards the end of the game, play was stopped as VAR examined a potential penalty claim against Palace.

The culprit was Daniel Munoz, who appeared to have handled a looping loose ball inside his own box, which saw Lukjancukas eventually called over to the screen to review the incident.

However, the referee chose not to award a penalty, and instead opted to give Palace a free-kick for a high boot by Kerim Memija, with Glasner’s side avoiding a potential disaster at the end.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, Hackett backed Lukjancukas’ call to penalise the Zrinjski Mostar star for endangering the safety of the Palace player.

He said: “That is not an easy decision, but I support the referee penalising the high boot, it certainly endangered the safety of his opponent.”

Manfredas Lukjancukas receives further praise for penalty decision

On top of Hackett, Lukjancukas was quick to receive praise from the pundits for his decision.

If given against the visitors, it would have been a massive blow, especially with Glasner’s side heavily out of form, with the manager already feeling the pressure.

It is extremely rare for any referee to go against VAR, but Lukjancukas did this and ended up making the right decision, and one that certainly will have helped Palace going into the second leg at Selhurst Park.

Commentating on the match on TNT Sports on 19 February, Lucy Ward was also impressed by the referee, claiming that if the penalty had been given, it would have been “harsh” for Glasner’s side.

“Munoz is trying to protect himself,” Ward says. “His arm is in the air. He’s tried to protect his head, but in Europe you always risk a decision being given. There’s a touch with his left arm.

“He had his head down and his arm up. It’s certainly not deliberate, but when your arm is up, it gives the VAR and the referee the chance to give a penalty.

“It would’ve been harsh. That would have been an absolute disaster for Palace. They can breathe a massive sigh of relief at this stage of the game.

“The referee has looked at it very carefully, he’s seen the lead-up. He probably thinks it’s handball, but he sees the foul first.”

Now, Palace will be looking to progress into the round of 16 on 26 February, when they take on Zrinjski Mostar in the second leg of the Conference League playoffs at Selhurst Park. Kickoff is at 8pm.