Ex-refs chief: There should be Crystal Palace ban after ‘search through images’

Crystal Palace should begin a search to ban their own fans after the club were fined following a meeting with Nottingham Forest back in August.

That is according to former PGMOL chief and ex-FIFA referee, Keith Hackett, who exclusively told Football Insider that the Eagles’ punishment should have been much harsher from the Regulatory Commission.

On Sunday, 24 August, Palace fans unveiled a banner depicting Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis holding up a gun to Morgan Gibbs-White’s head, as fans of both clubs began a rivalry.

It all kicked off when the Tricky Trees were promoted to the Europa League, which meant Oliver Glasner’s side dropped down to the Europa Conference League for the 2025-26 campaign.

Now, the South London team have been dealt a £50,000 fine for failing to ensure their supporters behaved appropriately, months on from the incident at Selhurst Park.

Crystal Palace deserved a ‘much heavier punishment’ after Nottingham Forest game

Hackett has not minced his words at all, also blaming the broadcasters for showing the banner on live television, as well as requesting bans for supporters due to the incident.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former referee said: “The question is, how can clubs prevent this? I do think that the television company can control the images that are shown on our screens and help the situation.

“When we talk about the level of the fine and compare it to player wages, it is a drop in the ocean. Crystal Palace should search through the images to determine who is guilty and ban those fans responsible.

“Frankly, I was expecting a much heavier punishment, given the images that we witness.”

What happened last time the two Premier League clubs met?

Neither club were able to get the last laugh last time the two sides faced off, with Sean Dyche and Glasner facing off at the City Ground at the start of the month.

Gibbs-White had opened the scoring after just five minutes, but before the half-time break, the game had been completely turned on its head after a red card and an equaliser.

Neco Williams saved the ball on the line, getting himself sent off for handball, before Ismaila Sarr netted the resulting penalty, but the Eagles couldn’t take proper advantage from the extra man.

The game ended in a surprise 1-1 draw, despite Palace’s complete second-half domination, in what was one of Dyche’s final games as Forest manager.