
Keith Wyness ‘amazed’ after PiF fail to pull off marquee Newcastle deal
Newcastle’s lack of major sponsorship deals has raised eyebrows, given the Public Investment Funds’ significant relationships with other companies.
This is coming from Keith Wyness, who exclusively told Football Insider that he was amazed that the Magpies’ owners had not used these links to get a major sponsorship deal.
Last season, Eddie Howe’s side still lagged behind the Premier League big six and Aston Villa in terms of revenue, only generating £348.2million.
Newcastle have struggled with PSR in recent years, which has limited their ability to sign players despite their on-field success.
Keith Wyness: PIF should utilise links to give Newcastle major sponsorship deal
While there is no doubt that the PIF has dramatically improved Newcastle, many fans feel that they can take their investment a step further.
As it stands, the Magpies are set to go backwards this season, with a return to Europe looking increasingly unlikely.
A lack of signings in January did not help the matter, with zero players coming through the door at St James’ Park.
PSR was seen as a big reason behind this, with the policy holding Newcastle back in the market.
Speaking on the new edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track podcast, Wyness believes the owners should be doing more to pull in major sponsors to help bypass their current financial problems.
He said: “I think the fans do have a right to expect more. As I say, I was amazed when I looked at the PIF investment portfolio, why they weren’t taking some of the relationships they have with companies, the big companies like Microsoft, Disney? Why aren’t they coming in as partners or sponsors?
PSR is the only barrier stopping Newcastle from blowing everyone out of the water and dominating English football.
— Charlie Bennett (@CharIieBennett) August 7, 2025
Never forget that. #NUFC
“In some ways, with Newcastle. I thought there would have been a chance to do that, but it hasn’t happened.
“They have had some success. Peter Silverstone did a good job before he left to go to Juventus, and he did okay in terms of being able to move things forward to a degree.
“But I think this isn’t the quantum leap that Newcastle fans had expected. And there are ways to get that revenue up that PIF have not certainly seemed to have taken.
“I mentioned the stadium, which is the big one, of course, matchday revenue, is a big one that’s got to be resolved.
“They seem to be addressing the training ground, but that’s not really a revenue situation in the short term.
“Certainly it’s going to help attract players, but still they’ve got to get that new stadium situation resolved and get that sponsorship revenue up.”
- Read more: Arsenal fans erupt at ‘shocking’ Anthony Elanga as Man City close gap in Premier League title race
Summer transfer window could be decider for many Newcastle fans
While many Newcastle fans are grateful for the PIF, if there isn’t a significant investment in the summer window, they risk being left behind.
Aston Villa look set to return to the Champions League next season, while Man United and Everton are also now starting to make their way back up the Premier League table.
With Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool unlikely to fall out of the top six for the foreseeable future, it could be extremely difficult for Newcastle to qualify for Europe next campaign if quality signings aren’t brought in.
As a result, if this failure is realised, it could see plenty of the St James’ Park faithful turn against the owners who delivered them a trophy only last year.