
Keith Wyness demands rule change after Liverpool ‘come out winners’ with steal
The Professional Football Compensation Committee has been called to reevaluate how they award compensation after the Rio Ngumoha saga.
This comes from Keith Wyness, who exclusively told Football Insider that Chelsea should have received more for the 17-year-old winger after Liverpool poached the youngster in 2024.
The Reds were ordered to pay a fee that could rise to £6.8million for the upcoming star, with a 20 per cent sell-on clause also added.
While this is the second-highest fee received, given the potential Ngumoha has shown in the Premier League, many Chelsea fans are outraged.
Your Codes for Selected Widget & Options Insert in the HTML BodyKeith Wyness: Chelsea should have received more for Rio Ngumoha
Ngumoha is no doubt one of the best upcoming players in the country.
The attacker became Liverpool’s youngest-ever scorer in the Premier League earlier this campaign after he netted the winner against Newcastle.
As a result, many feel that the £6.8m fee does not represent his true value, including Wyness, who told the new edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track podcast, that PFCC need to look at how they calculate the awarded fee.
He said: “Well, it’s surprising that it’s actually the second biggest fee awarded. To make you laugh, it’s the biggest one with Danny Ings as a young player, a name that we all remember and still going strong, Danny Ings, God bless him.
“But yeah, look, £6.8m and a 20 per cent sell-on, as I say, the second biggest.
— Rio Ngumoha (@NgumohaRio) February 21, 2026
“In terms of normal awards, it’s a big one, but it still means to me that Liverpool have won. To get a player of that talent at that sort of level just seems wrong.
“So I still think there are questions about how these whole awards are actually calculated. I think there’s got to be some sort of bigger sell-on percentage.
“If it was 50%, I think that might be more reflective. But again, they’re not quite getting into the real market value of these sort of players.
“So I think that Liverpool have won that one and have nicked him at £6.8m in a 20 per cent sell-on. And I think that Chelsea have lost in terms of the fairness of this whole award.”
Liverpool and Chelsea remain hostile after Ngumoha saga
Despite the saga appearing to be over, with Liverpool only having to pay a minor fee for the youngster, the two Premier League clubs remain hostile.
Wyness also explained how Liverpool and Chelsea are at war, with Ngumoha’s move severely damaging their relationship.
“I think that they have got a real talent. I think it’s sparked a war from what I’m hearing as well,” he added.
🌟 | Player of the match
— Sofascore Football (@Sofascore) August 25, 2025
Rio Ngumoha v Newcastle:
⏱️ 8’ played
👌 4 touches
⚽️ 1 goal
📦 0.37 xG
👟 1/1 accurate passes
💨 1/1 successful dribbles
📈 7.6 Sofascore Rating
INSTANT. IMPACT. 💎#NEWLIV pic.twitter.com/xCbUjhIhYO
“Chelsea scouts are being banned from Liverpool games and different things. And there’s talk of Chelsea going to target some of the Liverpool youngsters and their youth teams.
“These things tend to go on for a little while, then they blow out and they blow over. I’ve been involved in a few of those sort of things, tit for tat sort of situations, but then personalities leave and different things go on and it gets back to normal.
“But I think there’s no doubt that Chelsea have got every right to feel aggrieved and Liverpool should be celebrating the fact they’ve got a talent like this at that sort of price.”