
Martin O’Neill risks losing all support at Celtic after what he said about the fans in loss vs Stuttgart
Martin O’Neill was left frustrated with the behaviour of Celtic fans after they were beaten 4-1 at home by Stuttgart on Thursday night.
The Bhoys had home advantage in the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie, but were soundly beaten by their Bundesliga opponents, who cruised to a comfortable victory at Celtic Park.
O’Neill’s men have been left with a mountain to climb when they travel to Germany for the second leg of the tie next week, and the first leg became yet another moment for the fans to show their frustrations.
The game was halted after just 15 seconds when Celtic fans threw tennis balls onto the pitch at Parkhead in protest towards the board, and O’Neill was frustrated that they couldn’t put their vitriol to one side.
Martin O’Neill puts reputation on the line with Celtic fans comments
Tensions have been high in the stands at Celtic Park so far this season, and protests towards the club hierarchy have become increasingly common throughout the campaign.
Ultras group the Green Bridge saw their ban held in place for the latest Europa League clash, and they have still not been present at a home game since October, but that did little to prevent Thursday’s demonstration.

O’Neill has a glowing reputation among the fanbase of the Glasgow giants, but he is at risk of damaging that badly after his comments surrounding the protest in his post-match interview.
The 73-year-old has acted as something of a unifying figure for the supporters across both of his interim spells this term, but he could easily be seen to be siding with the board with his statements, which surely will not go down well with some sections of the fanbase.
“Anybody who thinks that is a good idea needs their heads examining,” O’Neill said after the game.
“There’s no question about it. It sends out the totally wrong message. We’re playing against Stuttgart and the game is hard enough, and that sort of thing does not help at all.”
O’Neill’s comments are undoubtedly meant with the right intentions, but if taken badly by the fans, they could potentially result in him losing his support from the stands.
Celtic fans’ protests to eventually damage the club’s coffers
Former Aberdeen chief executive Keith Wyness told Football Insider earlier this week that Celtic fans have been handed further power after the publication of the club’s interim accounts.
The revelation showed that 42 per cent of the club’s income is made up from matchdays alone, which could send a message to fans that ultimately voting with their feet could provide the best way to hit the board the hardest.
Wyness suggested that it would be no surprise to see boycotts take place between now and the end of the season, as the supporters continue to maker their feelings known towards the ownership.
Boycotting home games would hit the club’s coffers hard and potentially force through the change that many people are desiring, but it could first come with serious costs on the pitch ahead of next season and beyond.