Celtic Twist: New bid submitted for English sensation - Exclusive
Queens Park Rangers have become the latest club to table a formal bid for Alfie Doughty of Charlton Athletic, Football Insider can reveal.
Stoke City submitted a £650,000 offer for the 21-year-old earlier this week, as first revealed by this site.
A recruitment source has told Football Insider Rangers and Celtic have both lodged pre-contract offers as they look to land him on a cut-price summer deal.
Charlton manager Lee Bowyer told the press after their 2-0 defeat to Accrington Stanley on Friday that he expected the winger to leave within a few days.
The Hoops lodged a number of bids for the left-sided Englishman in the summer but they were rejected by the Addicks, as confirmed by Bowyer in September.
Instead, Celtic added Diego Laxalt on loan from Italian giants AC Milan on deadline day to fill their void on the left side.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Both Celtic and Rangers can take advantage of cross-border rules and secure Doughty on a pre-contract deal this month.
As Doughty is still under the age of 23, the Glasgow giants would have to pay Charlton Athletic a minimal compensation fee.
The London-born ace has not featured for the Addicks since October as he currently has a hamstring injury.
Able to operate at left-back, left wing-back and left-wing, he has scored once and provided two assists in 10 games across all competitions this season.
If he were to complete a switch to either of the Glasgow sides it would represent a remarkable rise for the youngster.
He spent part of last season on loan with National League outfit Bromley in England’s fifth tier.
In other news, Football Insider can reveal both Celtic and Rangers have been put on red alert as a Preston trio reject record offers and January moves are now likely.