Aston Villa dealt blow in bid to sign Gomez after Klopp decision - Sources

By Wayne Veysey

25th Jan, 2022 | 12:16pm

Sources: Significant update on Aston Villa bid to sign Gomez after Klopp makes up his mind

Aston Villa have been told by Liverpool that Joe Gomez will not leave the club this month, Football Insider understands.

This site revealed on Monday that the Midlands giants were making one final move for the 24-year-old after registering their interest earlier in the window.

A Liverpool source has told Football Insider that Jurgen Klopp has made up his mind that Gomez is staying and all offers will be refused.

He wants to keep the England international among his senior roster of centre-backs for the second half of the campaign.

That is a blow to Villa boss Steven Gerrard, who is now looking elsewhere for a new central defender ahead of next Monday’s deadline.

Gerrard is said to be a “huge admirer” of Gomez and was hopeful that a deal could be reached.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

However, Liverpool are likely to offload one senior centre-back before the 31 January cut-off.

Nat Phillips has been given the green light by Jurgen Klopp to secure a permanent or loan move.

Phillips has been the subject of a failed £7million bid from Watford as well as interest from the likes of PSV Eindhoven, and has now been linked with Newcastle United.

Gomez has slipped to fourth-choice in the centre-half pecking order at Anfield after missing most of last season with a knee injury.

The ex-Charlton defender has made just 12 appearances this term.

He has two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract on Merseyside.

In other news, a pundit has predicted Aston Villa could complete a bargain forward signing after a ‘great’ update.