Bruce speaks out about Aston Villa swoop for top flight hot shot - reveals transfer tactics
Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has said that the club cannot afford to try and sign Bournemouth striker Lewis Grabban and says he will be targeting loan deals in the upcoming transfer window.
The Villans had been linked with a move for the Cherries forward, currently on loan at fellow second tier side Sunderland, with the top flight side’s manager Eddie Howe hinting that he could indeed be set for a permanent departure come January.
However, when probed about the move by journalists, Bruce gave the definitive verdict that they could not afford to sign the hot shot, who has netted 11 goals in 17 appearances during his loan spell at the Stadium of Light this season.
Instead, he stated that his transfer tactic for January would be to secure loan deals which would help bolster his squad as they look to return to the top flight after a two season absence.
He was quoted by the Shields Gazette as stating: “I have said for three months I am looking at loans,”
“How can I be linked with Lewis Grabban? I haven’t got the money. Put a line through it.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Villa are currently sitting fifth in the Championship table, having endured something of an attacking injury crisis which left Bruce with just teenage striker Keinan Davis at his disposal.
They travel to the Pride Park Stadium on Saturday to take on Derby County, who are sitting just one point and one place above Bruce and his men in the play off spots.
In other Aston Villa news, a veteran defender has been pictured at the club’s training ground.