By Kevin Phillips

22nd Aug, 2021 | 8:00am

Newcastle may sell Longstaff for 'a lot of money' to fund new signing - pundit

Kevin Phillips has urged Newcastle United to cash in on outcast Sean Longstaff amid reported interest from Everton and Southampton.

The former Sunderland striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, suggested the Magpies could reinvest the money on new signings.

The Daily Mail reported on Wednesday (August 18th) that Newcastle have slapped a £10million asking price on the homegrown midfielder.

Former Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez is reportedly keen on taking Longstaff to Everton.

Southampton are also said to be interested.

Longstaff has failed to nail down a starting berth at St James’ Park, starting just 14 league games last term.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

The midfielder initially burst onto the scene under Benitez after impressing in pre-season before the 2018/19 campaign.

He played 13 games in all competitions during that season, before suffering a serious knee injury in March 2019.

The 23-year-old’s contract expires next summer, and Phillips believes that the potential fee would be beneficial for the Magpies.

“It’s a lot of money for a player who hasn’t played an awful lot of games,” he told Football Insider‘s Ben Wild.

“£10million for Steve Bruce to strengthen another position in the squad – you’d get that deal done.

“Everton seem to be going down that British and English route with players like Andros Townsend and Demerai Gray.

“He’s got that relationship with Benitez as well. If you’re Newcastle – why not let the kid go?

Joe Willock completed a move to the Tyneside club last week (August 13th) for a fee of around £25million.

Newcastle are still very much active in this summer transfer window.

Football Insider has exclusively revealed the Magpies’ interest in QPR defender Rob Dickie and Schalke striker Matthew Hoppe in recent days.

In other news, a deal is complete for Newcastle target Brandon Williams.