By Wayne Veysey

13th Aug, 2022 | 11:35am

Sources: Tottenham sensation Marcel Lavinier axed after rejecting new contract

Tottenham have axed Marcel Lavinier after he rejected a new contract, sources from the club have told Football Insider on Thursday.

The 21-year-old has been omitted from Spurs Under-21s’ opening two Premier League 2 matches of the campaign against Everton and Leicester City.

It is believed Tottenham have left Lavinier, who is a right-back, out of the team as a direct result of his contract issues with the club.

The youngster has rejected a new deal to replace his current agreement, which expires in the summer of 2023.

Lavinier was a regular in the Tottenham youth setup during the 2021-22 campaign, making 19 appearances in the Premier League 2.

The defender joined Spurs’ development squad in October 2020, following a trial period and he has been playing on both flanks.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

This came after joined Chelsea aged seven and spent 12 years in their academy.

On 7 May, a club source told Football Insider that youngster Lavinier was one of several youngsters who had been promoted to the first-team set-up due to an injury crisis.

On 10 May, Spurs expert and Football Insider pundit John Wenham even suggested Lavinier could have even featured for the first-team as Emerson Royal was the club’s only other fit right-back at the time.

Lavinier is capped by England at Under 15, 16 and17 levels, before featuring for Portugal Under 18s due to his dual nationality.

Tottenham’s senior side are next in action against Chelsea on Sunday (14 August).

In other news, a pundit has shared his verdict on Antonio Conte quitting Tottenham after source’s update.