By Abigail Withey
Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed that the club is moving closer to sorting a new deal with midfielder Stuart Armstrong.
The 25-year-old has been in negotiations about renewing his contract with the club for over six months, with his current deal set to end next summer, but so far the two parties have failed to reach an agreement.
However, the treble-winning boss is keen to sort a new deal as soon as possible and has stated that it will be resolved in due course.
Rodgers said: “I don’t think we are too far away now. I hope for him and the club it can be resolved.”
“We haven’t had any offers, It’s something I’d be hopeful of,” the Celtic boss told the Glasgow Evening Times. “I have a lot of time for Stuart.”
Rodgers is keen to tie the Scotland international down and has commented on his development throughout his time at Celtic.
“I saw him when I first came in,” Rodgers explained. “I’ve seen the progress he has made, the confidence he has played with and I want to help him sustain that.
“I know what his goals are, I know where he wants to be and I think we can help him achieve them here.
“So I am really confident we can get something organised.”
Armstrong joined the Glaswegian side from Championship side Dundee United back in 2015, and has since grown to become a key figure in the Hoops squad.
Last season the Scotsman made a vital contribution to the Bhoys’ domestic treble success with 17 goals and a further seven assists in his 47 appearances with the club.
Rodgers’ squad began their Premiership campaign on Saturday at Celtic Park.
In other Celtic news, the starting XI squad for the club’s return to the Premiership has been announced.