By Gabriel Agbonlahor

16th Sep, 2022 | 6:00am

Agbonlahor: Liverpool to bomb out Joe Gomez after 'Sunday League' claim

Joe Gomez will struggle to get back into the Liverpool starting XI, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker claimed Jurgen Klopp may even prefer to play Fabinho at centre-back ahead of Gomez.

The 25-year-old started five consecutive games for Liverpool before being dropped to the bench for the 2-1 win over Ajax on Tuesday night (13 September).

In his last appearance in the 4-0 defeat to Napoli last week (7 September), he was dragged off with the Reds already 3-0 down.

And Agbonlahor has suggested Gomez’s performance was so poor that he volunteered to be taken off.

He told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “Gomez looked like a Sunday League defender against Napoli, he couldn’t get near anyone and didn’t look like he wanted to defend.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

“Honestly, I think everyone watching that game probably said if they were Gomez they would have went into the changing room at half-time and got in the shower before the manager took you off.

“That’s how bad it was, it was one of those performances where you take yourself off. You hold your hands up and say ‘Gaffer, I have to come off, I’ve been so poor’.

“I just can’t see him getting back in. He didn’t play for a long time last season, he finally got a chance and he’s not taken it.

“It’s come to the stage where you play Fabinho before him because that performance was so poor.”

Gomez had to wait until February last season for his first Premier League start as he made 21 appearances across all competitions.

The England international signed a new five-year contract at Anfield over the summer.

In other news, a Liverpool coach may receive a touchline ban and an “annual salary” fine after confirmed news.