Agbonlahor thrilled as Aston Villa put two Premier League giants in their place over Konsa
Gabby Agbonlahor is thrilled Aston Villa have secured in-demand defender Ezri Konsa to a new long-term contract.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, Villa’s record Premier League goalscorer insisted any whispers of Konsa leaving Villa Park will be put to bed after he put pen-to-paper to a new deal.
The 24-year-old centre-back has committed his future to the club until at least the summer of 2026.
— Ezri Konsa (@EzriKonsa) April 2, 2021
The Athletic reported earlier this year that Konsa was on the radar of both Liverpool and Tottenham ahead of the summer window.
Both Liverpool and Spurs have had their issues at the back all season and Konsa has emerged as one of the league’s most consistent performers.
He has missed just two Premier League games all season and has helped Villa keep an impressive 14 clean sheets in 29 games.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
It has helped the Midlands giants launch an unlikely bid for Europe and they are now just five points behind Spurs in sixth.
Asked for his assessment of Konsa’s new contract, Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “That’s what happens in football.
“When there’s a little sniff of interest in a player you have to tie them down and that’s great for Villa to do that, to tie Konsa down.
“That puts all that transfer talk away.”
Speaking after signing his new deal, Konsa told the Villa website: “It’s a great feeling to know the club really believes in you and has trust in you.
“It’s something I’ve been working towards since I got here, proving myself and playing games week in, week out.”