Everton

Gabriel Agbonlahor has tipped Everton to finish in the top four after Lucas Digne agreed a new long-term contract.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former Aston Villa and England striker insisted the deal is a real statement of intent and shows Everton’s ambitions.

Digne, who has been one of the club’s standout performers since his arrival from Barcelona in 2018, signed a new contract last week that will keep him in Merseyside until 2025.

The Toffees beat struggling Southampton on Monday night 1-0 to make it back-to-back victories in the Premier League.

They are now just two points off West Ham who occupy fourth place with a game in hand.

And Agbonlahor has claimed there is no danger of Everton taking the foot off the gas after agreeing Digne’s new contract.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

He told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “They’ll be looking at it and thinking ‘we’ve got a great chance of getting top four, let’s keep going, let’s tie down our best players.’

“There’s no point in letting Lucas Digne go because it would just show they’re not serious so that’s good news for Everton.

“I really hope Everton do it. They used to battle with Aston Villa for top four and we both used to miss out.

“It would just be nice for them to get in there and see a change of team in the Champions League.”

Speaking to the Everton website, Digne said after agreeing his new deal: “I want to play in Europe and Everton is the best place to do that.

“I have seen the progress every year since joining the Club, we are building a strong team.

In other news, there has been an update on Everton signing Joshua King permanently after a £2million fee was paid.