West Ham told expert's verdict on Moyes receiving extended ban

By Gabriel Agbonlahor

11th May, 2022 | 5:00pm

Agbonlahor verdict on David Moyes landing extended ban as controversial West Ham footage emerges

David Moyes should not receive further punishment for kicking a ball at a ballboy as West Ham were beaten 1-0 by Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League semi-final last week (5 May), according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker insisted the red card on the night was enough of a punishment for Moyes.

The 59-year-old was banished from the dugout and will now serve a European one-match touchline ban.

That will likely be in the Europa Conference League next season although there is still a possibility they will leapfrog Man United to finish sixth and qualify for the Europa League.

The Sun reported last week (6 May) that every red card is assessed for punishment by a disciplinary committee so his ban could be extended.

Moyes did apologise to the ballboy and insisted he did not actually hit him with the ball.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Asked whether the Scot should receive extra punishment, Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “I don’t think so, no.

“The red card was enough. Uefa will want to move on, look forward to the final and next season’s competition.

“David Moyes I’m sure will apologise to the boy and leave it at that. It was a frustrating night for him and for West Ham.”

West Ham are currently seventh in the Premier League, three points behind Man United in seventh but they do have a game in hand.

They host league leaders Man City on Sunday (15 May) before travelling to Brighton & Hove Albion on the final day.

In other news, West Ham have made a move to sign a Premier League star and ‘he’s the perfect Moyes player’.