By Russell Edge
Newcastle United defender Paul Dummett has said there have been some dark days during his injury layoff after revealing he is ahead of schedule for a return to action.
The Welsh international has been ruled out of action since the opening day of the current Premier League season, having been forced off with a hamstring injury against Tottenham in the 2-0 defeat at St James’ Park.
Since then, he has had to watch his team mates from the stands following their return to the top flight last season, a campaign in which Dummett played an integral role, appearing in all but one league match, on the way to the Championship title.
Now, Dummett has revealed he is closing in on a return to action after missing 10 top flight outings, while he will miss an 11th on Saturday when the Magpies travel to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United.
Speaking out about the difficulties he has faced during the layoff, both physically and mentally, he told Newcastle’s official website: “I think I’m still ahead of schedule. I got told it would be 16 weeks and it’ll be 13 weeks this weekend, so by the time I’m back playing I should be on schedule.
“You’re sitting watching from the stand. It is hard to watch because you want to be out there, trying to help the team. That’s the worst part.
“One of the biggest things is the mental side. It’s hard work – you probably work even harder when you’re injured, trying to get fit.
“I can see light at the end of the tunnel so now I’m fully focused on getting back to play a game.”
Dummett, the club’s longest serving player since breaking through the youth ranks at St James’ Park, has 122 appearances under his belt for the Magpies across all competitions, with the most recent of his three goals coming as the final equaliser in a 3-3 draw against Saturday’s opponents United.
In other Newcastle United news, a report has made an outrageous claim over Mike Ashley’s true intentions regarding a proposed takeover.