'I was surprised' - Ally McCoist blown away by improvement of Celtic attacker

By Danny Wright

Rangers icon Ally McCoist has admitted that he was “surprised” that Celtic attacker Callum McGregor was left out of the last Scotland squad.

Gordon Strachan snubbed the 24-year-old Hoops attacker despite him enjoying a blistering start to the new season which was rewarded with a new contract earlier this week.

McCoist believes that McGregor’s fresh deal was more than deserved having been blown away by the attacking midfielder’s improvement over the course of the last year.

“Yes I think Callum McGregor has grown in the last six to 12 months. I know earlier in his career he was on loan at Notts County and he did fine,” said McCoist on BT Sport’s Live Scottish Football Extra on Friday night.

“He came back to Celtic and broke into the side and I thought he was doing okay.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“He’s certainly improved to the extent that I was surprised not to see him in the Scotland squad so from that assessment then it’s good business.”

McGregor extended his stay at Parkhead until 2021 on Thursday when he agreed terms to a new deal.

The former Scotland Under-21 international, who is yet to feature in the senior squad, has made 10 appearances across all competitions this season, scoring three goals and supplying three assists in the process.

Most of McGregor’s best displays have come in the Premiership when he has been playing on the right wing, having scored or supplied an assist in all but one of his league appearances this season.

Celtic will no doubt be hoping that the attacker can repay them for his new contract on Saturday when Brendan Rodgers and his men welcome Ross County to Parkhead.

In other Celtic news, Chris Sutton has said why Rodgers will quit the Bhoys.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Celtic breaking news.