By Germany correspondent Hans Matthias
Thomas Muller has revealed he was the subject of huge offers from Premier League giants before signing a new Bayern Munich deal.
The Germany World Cup winner penned a new contract at the Allianz last month following strong interest from Arsenal and Manchester United.
Sources close to the situation have told Football Insider that the Gunners asked Bayern Munich about the availability of Muller last summer but were told he was not for sale.
Arsenal did not follow up with a bid for Muller, and nor was their interest as persistent as that of rivals United.
Speaking on Monday, Muller insisted that the decision to extend his Bayern deal until 2021 was a simple one.
“It set a signal that you don’t leave FC Bayern even when England offers a lot with all the TV money,” said the 26-year-old. “It was a statement from me and the club that we stand together, feel great together and pursue goals together.”
Muller has been in outstanding form for Bayern this season, scoring 21 goals from 26 matches in all competitions, including 14 from 17 Bundesliga games.
Arsenal’s prime striker target last summer was Karim Benzema but Arsene Wenger was unwilling to meet the Frenchman’s wage demands and a deal could not be finalised.
Bayern president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said recently that he told United to stop emailing him about Muller’s availability after Louis van Gaal sanctioned multiple approaches for the versatile forward over the last two summer windows.
Asked about the club president’s quip about the email interest of United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, Muller replied: “That was well said. I had to laugh about that. It was good. The club, as Rummenigge showed, denied it straight away, so it’s not up for discussion.”