Aston Villa senior man reportedly eyed by Premier League club, manager responds
By Harvey Byrne
David Moyes has revealed that he has no interest in signing Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott after he rejected a move to Rangers.
Speaking ahead of the Black Cats’ match against Middlesbrough on Sunday, the former Everton manager told reporters that he has no need for a left footed defender after signing Papy Djilobodji from Chelsea earlier this summer.
The Scottish Sun had claimed that Moyes was keen to take the experienced defender to the Stadium of Light and had even held informal talks with the former England international.
However, Sky Sports North East reporter Keith Downie revealed the Sunderland manager’s response on his personal Twitter account on Friday afternoon and quoted Moyes as saying he has “no interest” in the former Manchester City and Everton player.
Moyes not interested in Joleon Lescott – he has Djilibodji so says he doesn't need another left-footed CB.
— Keith Downie (@SkySports_Keith) August 19, 2016
On Friday morning, Sky Sports News had also claimed via their official Twitter account that the 34-year-old defender had rejected a transfer to Rangers from Aston Villa.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) August 19, 2016
Lescott is in the final year of his £50,000-a-week Villa contract, which was halved when the team were relegated to Championship at the end of last season.
The two-time Premier League winner was part of a disappointing campaign for the Villans last season, as his side picked up just 17 points with him at the heart of the club’s defence playing in 33 encounters in all competitions.
It would appear that the 26-time capped England international’s days are numbered at Villa Park, after the additions of Tommy Elphick and James Chester this summer.
In other Aston Villa transfer news, Mark Warburton will turn to former Villa defender Philippe Senderos.