By Wayne Veysey

24th Apr, 2017 | 8:37am

BBC commentator: Tottenham almost certain to agree £15m deal

By Harry Sykes

Tottenham are “almost certain” to give the green light this week to play their home matches at Wembley next season in what will be a reported £15million deal.

BBC journalist Guy Mowbray made the claim while commentating on Spurs’ 4-2 FA Cup defeat to Chelsea at the national stadium on Saturday.

Mowbray explained that the information he had been given was that Tottenham would return to Wembley for all of their home fixtures in 2017-18.

“Spurs are almost certain to be playing all their home games here next season,” said Mowbray, while on commentary duty for the FA Cup semi-final thriller.

Tottenham chiefs delayed a decision on agreeing Wembley as their temporary home when they confirmed last month that they have struck a deal with stadium chiefs to extend the original deadline of 31 March by a month until 30 April.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Chairman Daniel Levy admitted in the club’s recently-released financial accounts that the board want to be convinced the building work is on track at their new stadium adjacent to White Hart Lane before committing to a temporary move to Wembley.

In a statement, Tottenham declared their intention remains to start the 2018-19 season at their redeveloped 61,000-seat ground, but they need greater certainty about the building timetable.

Despite the widespread assumption that this will be the final year at the ground that has been home since 1899, the club have not said publicly that is the case.

Football site Squawka claim that Spurs chiefs would need to pay £15million in rent to host games at Wembley in 2017-18 while White Hart Lane is redeveloped.

The new White Hart Lane is expected to cost between £400million and 450million and the club have promised it will be the best ground in the Premier League, featuring state-of-the-art facilities, a huge single-tier stand and industry leading corporate hospitality.

Spurs are licking their wounds following the defeat to Chelsea that ended their dreams of a league and cup double, something that is still attainable for Antonio Conte’s team.

However, the Premier League title remains within reach for Tottenham, who are four points behind league leaders Chelsea going into the midweek fixtures.

Pochettino’s side have been handed a major boost as they prepare to face what will be a considerably weakened Crystal Palace side on Wednesday night.

Conte’s side host Southampton on Tuesday night at Stamford Bridge as they aim to extend their lead to seven points before Spurs are in action 24 hours later.

In other Tottenham news, the club have sensationally terminated the contract of one of their emerging stars.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Tottenham breaking news.