Chelsea told to U-turn on Armando Broja deal amid '£60m' claim - pundit
Noel Whelan has backed Armando Broja to start for Chelsea in the opening games of the 2022-23 season.
The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, insisted “now’s the time to see what he can do” as Timo Werner inches closer to joining Romelu Lukaku in leaving Stamford Bridge.
According to the London Evening Standard (2 August), Chelsea are in talks with RB Leipzig over a potential return to Germany for Werner.
The Blues had been reportedly open to also selling 20-year-old Broja – who is a target for Real Madrid and West Ham.
The Albania international started Chelsea’s final pre-season friendly against Udinese on Sunday (31 July) – less than a week before the start of the new season.
Whelan claimed the youngster could save the Blues “£60million” in the transfer market.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
When asked if he thought Broja should also start against Everton on Saturday (6 August), he told Football Insider‘s Ewan Kingsbury: “Yeah, I do – he’s shown he can do it in the Premier League.
“His loan at Southampton showed that. There’s interest from other big clubs who have seen something in him – and Chelsea need to look themselves.
“It might be that they don’t have to go out and spend £50-60million on a new striker if they’ve got someone right there. But he needs to be given that opportunity.
“I think to not do that would be criminal. He’s a Chelsea player already, clubs are interested – why not give him a go?
“It seems ridiculous.
“When you’ve got someone ready who can score in the Premier League, they need an opportunity. Players like Werner have had their chance, Broja hasn’t.
“Now’s the time to see what he can do.”