Chris Sutton reacts to speculation Celtic have agreed to sign dazzling front man
By Harry Sykes
Chris Sutton has reacted with delight on Twitter to the prospect of Patrick Roberts wreaking havoc for Celtic this season.
Widespread reports on Friday afternoon stated that the Scottish treble winners have agreed to sign the wide forward, 20, on a season-long loan.
This comes after Sutton claimed earlier this week that his source had told him that a deal was imminent for Roberts’ return to Parkhead for a second spell.
Celtic have not yet officially confirmed that the Manchester City player is on his way back but Sutton took the latest speculation as corroboration of his own information.
He is in no doubt about the calibre of the Roberts, who he hailed on his personal Twitter account as “a signing that takes this Celtic team up a notch”.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
.@btsportfootball I don’t like to tell you I told you so…. But I did????????Roberts is a signing that takes this Celtic team up a notch ????????????
— Chris Sutton (@chris_sutton73) August 18, 2017
Celtic wanted to land Roberts, 20, in time for him to play in Wednesday’s first-leg Champions League qualification clash against FC Astana but were unable to seal the deal by Uefa’s 11pm deadline on Tuesday.
The Hoops went on to demolish their opponents 5-0 to virtually seal a play in the group stages of Europe’s elite competition.
— BT Sport Football (@btsportfootball) August 15, 2017
England Under-20 international Roberts made a huge impression for Celtic during an 18-month loan that ended in June.
The front man, who is renowned for his skill and trickery from out wide, completed a haul of 11 goals and 19 assists from 43 league and cup appearances that was crucial to the club’s treble-winning campaign last season.
In other Celtic transfer news, the club have agreed to sell a defender to a top-flight club.