Everton ace Calvert-Lewin defended as controversial images emerge

By Gabriel Agbonlahor

10th Apr, 2022 | 4:15pm

Everton news: Agbonlahor delivers Dominic Calvert-Lewin verdict as controversial images emerge

Gabby Agbonlahor has leapt to the defence of Dominic Calvert-Lewin after images of the Everton striker modelling for GQ emerged.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker claimed Calvert-Lewin had no control over when the images were released and it is acceptable as he is not out “partying”.

The 25-year-old was the cover star for GQ Hype last Monday (4 April) amid Everton’s woeful run of form leading to criticism from fans.

Just two days later Everton lost 3-2 to relegation rivals Burnley before recording their first Premier League win in four games with a 1-0 victory over Man United yesterday (9 April).

Calvert-Lewin has not found the net since August last year (2021) although he has spent four months out of the side with an injury.

“Companies like that will print whenever they feel like it,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“If they are paying him to be in their magazine they’re not going to wait until Everton are going to win a game.

“They will post what they want whenever they want, he’s probably doing those pictures ages ago. It’s different.

“Football has changed now. Yes, if he was out partying while his club was in a relegation battle that’s different and you can’t be doing that. If he’s modelling off the pitch, that’s fine for me now.

“We’re not living in dinosaur times now, football’s changes and he can do that.”

Calvert-Lewin has long been known for his love of fashion away from football.

The England striker told GQ he was “happy to be a standard-bearer for new flamboyance”.

In other news, Kieran Maguire has evaluated a £103million Everton claim as ‘furious’ rivals threaten legal action.