Everton owner gives transfer update, fans will be overjoyed
By Harvey Byrne
Billionaire Everton owner Farhad Moshiri has revealed that he is “anxious” to bring more signings into the club this summer.
The Toffees announced the £28million capture of Yannick Bolasie from Crystal Palace on Monday afternoon to go alongside the other three summer arrivals Maarten Stekelenburg, Idrissa Gueye and Ashley Williams.
However, the Goodison Park owner isn’t content with the club’s four senior signings and he has made it clear how keen he is to further strengthen the squad.
“We are very pleased about today’s signing but remain anxious to further strengthen the squad,” said the Iranian tycoon, as quoted by the Sky Sports transfer centre blog (19:13).
“The chairman, Bill Kenwright is relentlessly pushing things forward with my total support for him, for Steve Walsh and for Ronald Koeman.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Everton fans will be thrilled with the update by the club’s majority shareholder, who has stayed mainly in the background since taking over the club earlier this years.
As well as the signings, the Merseyside club have also reshaped their staff, with the additions of former Southampton boss Ronald Koeman and his backroom support alongside Steve Walsh joining the club’s scouting setup from Leicester, as well as becoming the Director of Football.
Moshiri’s quotes follow reports from The Daily Mail claiming that the Merseysiders are keen on bringing in Joe Hart and Juan Mata on loan.
The Mirror claimed on Monday morning that Everton are keen to make Hart their first-choice goalkeeper even though they have already signed Maarten Stekelenburg from Southampton this summer.
Everton have also been strongly linked with a move for Mata after Jose Mourinho was appointed the new United manager.
The Spaniard started and scored for United in their 3-1 win at Bournemouth on Sunday but Mourinho cast doubt over Mata’s Old Trafford future after subbing the midfielder less than half an hour after bringing him on in the Community Shield win over Leicester.
The Telegraph state Hart was dropped because he doesn’t fit Guardiola’s ideal of a sweeper-keeper, and that the England international now fears he will be leaving the Manchester club.
It is said that the England star believes the new City manager is preparing to sell him before the transfer window closes a fortnight on Wednesday.
The Sun claimed earlier this summer that the Merseysiders are willing to pay £40million to land the Manchester City ace as well as offer him a five-year contract worth £200,000-a-week.
Stekelenburg was given the nod by Koeman to start in Everton’s 1-1 draw against Tottenham on Saturday and had a fine match.
Hart, 29, joined City from Shrewsbury in 2006 and has been a mainstay of the Premier League team during the Abu Dhabi era.
He is a firm favourite with City supporters for his leadership and commitment, and was a key player in the side that won Premier League titles in 2012 and 2014.
In other Everton transfer news, the Toffees have lined up a move for Southampton striker Charlie Austin.