By Keith Hackett

17th Sep, 2022 | 2:30pm

Ex-PGMOL chief: Liverpool may be blocking major change after reveal

Liverpool and the rest of the Premier League clubs may block referees from giving post-match interviews, according to Keith Hackett.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Fifa and Premier League referee and former head of the PGMOL revealed he had tried the idea previously but clubs felt it stopped them from appealing controversial red card decisions.

The Mirror reported last week (10 September) that players are pushing for referees to do post-match interviews to explain their decisions.

It comes after controversial decisions involving Newcastle United and West Ham.

“What it shows to me is that, if we are really going to get a buy in from the stakeholders into the operations of VAR, we have to have a big screen with the conversations broadcast so players and spectators can listen in,” Hackett told Football Insider‘s Connor Whitley.

“It has to be that level of transparency.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

“When I was boss of the PGMOL I had all referees undergo media training and we were going to introduce a quick post-match question and answer session.

“On the very first occasion we did it there were two problems. One was at Barnsley where the media decided they wanted to interview the referee at half-time and the referee said a few words which was out of the remit and gave me a problem.

“The second one was one referee explained why he had given a red card and he was correct in law but the club didn’t like it.

“They were hot around the collar about that decision and on Monday morning the club got in touch to say they were going to appeal the decision but the referee had had a second bite at burying the player. The club thought that was unfair and that’s why it was immediately dropped.”

In other news, Liverpool have been told a “root and branch review” is needed as major Premier League news is confirmed.