Danny Mills has claimed Tottenham have ‘taken advantage of a loophole’ following their decision to furlough all non-playing staff this week.
The former England international, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, suggested moral and ethical questions will be asked of Spurs having announced record revenue figures this season.
As Football Insider detailed last week, the Lilywhites made a pre-tax profit of £82.3million for the year ending June 2019 – the fourth-highest ever by an English club.
Message from the Chairman.
— Tottenham Hotspur (at 🏡) (@SpursOfficial) March 31, 2020
Despite this, Daniel Levy announced on Monday that 550 non-playing staff are to be placed on furlough leave to “protect jobs” amid the financial struggles of the coronavirus crisis.
Mills heavily criticised the decision whilst all Premier League clubs have the intention of completing the season.
“Tottenham is a business,” he told Football Insider.
“I understand that side of it but when you are talking about how much they are going to save when they made £100million profit last year… They are within their rights but I hope they make up the extra 20%.
“They are taking advantage of a situation – whether that loophole gets closed quickly – who knows.
“Premier League clubs have not lost any revenue yet because the season is on hold. It has not been canceled. Normally the football season is dead from May to mid-August anyway.
“Moral and ethical questions will be asked. It has been made available to them and they have taken advantage of it. It is difficult for the government to look at every potential grey area and loophole.”
Levy, who is the highest-paid executive in the Premier League, will take a 20% cut on his annual salary having been paid £7million by Spurs last season.
Tottenham are joined by Liverpool, Norwich, Newcastle, and Bournemouth in placing staff members in furlough.
The government scheme covers 80% of wages, up to the value of £2,500 a month, for the next two months.
In other Tottenham news, Paul Robinson has told Football Insider Daniel Levy will block move for ‘top-class’ defender.