Kevin Phillips has supported shortening halves to help Liverpool players such as Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jordan Henderson and Joe Gomez ahead of next summer’s Euros.

The 2000 European Golden Shoe winner, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, insisted he would be in favour of the proposal despite questions over the season’s integrity in such an outcome.

In an interview with BBC Radio 4, PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor suggested the governing bodies were considering shortening 45-minute halves upon the season’s restart.

Football Insider understands the Premier League is hoping for a return to action as soon as June 6 with hopes the season can be completed before July 31.

The 2020/21 season would likely follow shortly after and with the Euros having being postponed until June 2021, there would be little to no break for international players.

When asked by Football Insider if he supported the shorter halves proposal, Phillips said: “I had already thought about that. You have got to remember that once this season finishes we have the next season and then the Euros. I would be behind it.

“I think halves of 40 minutes. People will say it is only 10 minutes off a game but it would help with the fatigue.

“Why not help those English players that have to go into a major tournament next summer and give them a slight advantage going into a major tournament.

“Let us finish this season with shorter halves, it would definitely be an option if I was in charge.

“I see no reason why we could not have more substitutes and shorter halves. It is the same for everyone.”

Soccer Football – England Training – Tottenham Hotspur Training Ground, London, Britain – November 13, 2017 England manager Gareth Southgate and Eric Dier arrive for training Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley

Taylor revealed that more substitutes and neutral stadiums were also currently under discussion.

Jordan Henderson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are all likely to be key figures in Gareth Southgate’s squad for next summer’s tournament.

In other Liverpool news, Paul Robinson has told Football Insider players are within their right to refuse to play.