Hiddink reveals Oscar apologised to Costa after Chelsea training ground bust-up
By Chelsea correspondent Tony Hughes
Guus Hiddink has revealed that Oscar apologised to Diego Costa after they were involved in a heated training ground bust-up on Thursday afternoon.
The Brazilian denied on Thursday evening that there had been any confrontation after reports emerged earlier in the day of a fracas at the club’s Cobham headquarters on Thursday afternoon.
But Blues manager Hiddink admitted that the pair squared up to one another during an intense training session after Oscar rattled Costa with a hefty challenge.
“It was overdone. Oscar is not the biggest tackler,” Hiddink said at his media briefing on Friday afternoon. “They stumbled over the ground, stood up as a normal reaction and chested a bit, without a more serious reaction. We came in between but there is no need to say we avoided them hitting.
“It’s a shame the photographer was on break yesterday, he could have taken pictures of the two bulls who were chesting a bit, the little bull took a charge from behind.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Chelsea manager explained that Oscar knew he was in the wrong and swiftly apologised for his tenacity.
Hiddink said: “We had an intense, very sharp session, it was on the edge. Afterwards, Oscar apologised to the team, and they started laughing.”
Hiddink revealed that no further action was taken and he did not consider it to be a serious issue.
“Oscar and Diego Costa solved the argument themselves, we are happy,” the manager said. “It’s no problem at all.”
Oscar took to social networking site Twitter on Thursday to deny that there had been any confrontation at all and added that Costa is one of his “best friends” and they “never fight”.
Chelsea are preparing for Sunday’s FA Cup third round clash at home to Scunthorpe.