
Keith Hackett wants ‘season-long Atletico Madrid ban’ as UEFA slammed after Arsenal incident
Keith Hackett has exclusively told Football Insider that UEFA have made a mistake in their punishment of Atletico Madrid after an incident at the Emirates Stadium in October.
Arsenal beat Atletico Madrid 4-0 in October, with goals from Gabriel, Gabriel Martinelli, and Viktor Gyokeres stunning the Spanish giants at the Emirates Stadium.
The Gunners dominated the Champions League clash from the off, with all four goals coming in a stunning 13-minute onslaught in the second half.
Gyokeres scored a brace against Atletico Madrid, in a match that seemed to truly announce his arrival at the Emirates Stadium.
While the events on the pitch stole the headlines, it has since emerged that ugly scenes took hold in the stands.
Keith Hackett slams UEFA after ban decision
An Atletico Madrid staff member was seen spitting at Liverpool fans in September, after Virgil van Dijk had netted a late winner at Anfield.
Diego Simeone could be seen confronting a Liverpool fan behind the dugout, too, in an incident for which the Argentine was subsequently sent off.
Atletico Madrid‘s latest controversy has stemmed from actions taken by their fans, however.
UEFA announced on Thursday that the Spanish club have received a £26,300 fine and a suspended ban on ticket allocations for Champions League away games.
Atletico Madrid fans were found to have made monkey gestures and noises, as well as Nazi salutes, during the game against Arsenal in October.
The suspended ban will carry a probationary period of one year, with Atletico Madrid set to face a match without fans should they commit a similar offence.
Former PGMOL chief Hackett exclusively told Football Insider that UEFA’s ban feels light, considering the charges.

“The fine and one game ban is frankly not going to act has a deterrent,” he said. “I do think that UEFA are not dealing with these incidents in a strong enough way.
“The fine should be a six-figure sum with a season-long ban for their travelling supporters.“
UEFA must come down hard for lasting effect
UEFA’s measly fine will not have anyone thinking twice about their actions after last month’s incident.
Such minimal action bears no effect on serious offences, which UEFA, among other footballing bodies, have spent years attempting to stamp out of the game.
Lasting effect can only come through serious action, which should be felt by both the club and, in this case, the fans of the club.
Should similar offences be committed in the coming months, perhaps only then will UEFA review their policies on taking similar action in the future.