Liverpool have been handed a big boost in their chase of Netherlands international enforcer Stefan De Vrij after the Lazio chairman left the door open for his exit.
As reported by journalist Niccolo Ceccarini, De Vrij had been due to make a decision on his future on Saturday amid Anfield interest, and while that is as yet unknown, the chairman of Lazio has said the club will not stand in his way if he wants to leave.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a move for the 25-year-old in recent weeks, with the player also attracting major interest from Barcelona and Inter Milan.
Now, Lazio chairman Claudio Lotito has spoken out about the defender’s future, and opened the door for his exit from the Rome club.
As quoted by The Sun, Lotito said: “We have always said that people come and go but Lazio remains.
“It depends on the ethics and behaviour of the player. As a club we have always behaved very well towards the players and we’ll see what the players choose.
“We are used to enforcing our rights whilst always respecting the rules.”
De Vrij established himself on the European stage during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, starting every game for the Netherlands as they finished third.
A move to Lazio and Serie A followed, and he has now been at the club for three years after his transfer from Feyenoord.
Football Insider verdict:
De Vrij has established himself as a top-quality centre-back during his time at Lazio, and it is no wonder he is courting interest from Europe’s top clubs. It would be a surprise to see him at Liverpool however, especially in January, as the Reds look likely to go back in for Southampton ace and international teammate Virgil Van Dijk. If one thing is abundantly clear after their 3-3 draw with Arsenal, it is that the Reds desperately need a new centre-back as soon as possible. De Vrij would be good option, but remains an unlikely one.
In other Liverpool news, this Reds defender looks set for an Anfield exit in January.