Medical expert fears Jamal Lewis may need more surgery after Newcastle update
There are no guarantees that Jamal Lewis’ latest surgery will be his last as Newcastle United seek a solution to his injury nightmare.
That is the view of medical expert Ben Dinnery, who runs the Premier Injuries site and has a background in injury and data analysis.
Lewis, 24, has been out with a groin injury since mid-December and was not included in the Magpies’ most recent 25-man Premier League squad.
As quoted by Chronicle Live last Friday (22 April), Eddie Howe revealed that the left-back has now had “a few operations” to try and correct the problem.
Howe said that he hopes that his latest procedure, which took place recently, will solve his groin issues for good.
This site revealed last month (19 March) that the Magpies have told Lewis he is free to find a new club ahead of the summer.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
But Dinnery claims that Newcastle cannot be sure that the latest surgery will guarantee they have a saleable asset.
“There are a lot of complexities when it comes to injury and recovery,” he told Football Insider‘s Adam Williams.
“It’s never an exact science. One doctor can give you an opinion and another will give you a completely different view.
“Sometimes you go down one route and you’re in the lap of the gods. You hope the procedure is able to find the underlying cause and remedy it.
“With Jamal, that hasn’t happened up to this stage. This is why he’s had to have additional procedures.
“There are no guarantees this one will work. He may need to go for further operations. It’s all about trying to get the player and in a position to compete.”
Lewis has made 32 appearances in total for Newcastle.
Just six of those came this season before he was ruled out for the remainder of the campaign.