Pep Guardiola may be telling Bernardo Silva lies after Man City latest - pundit
Pep Guardiola will not let Bernardo Silva leave Man City this summer despite what he says publicly, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker suggested Silva is irreplaceable for Man City – especially after losing both Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus this summer.
As quoted by Sky Sports last week (5 August), Guardiola insisted City will not stand in Silva’s way if he wants to leave the club for whatever reason.
The 28-year-old still has three years left to run on his contract and has been linked with a move to Barcelona.
The Portugal international told ESPN on Wednesday (10 August) that he has not decided on his future with three weeks left before the transfer window slams shut.
“I don’t think they can afford to let Bernardo Silva go, to be honest,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
“They’ve lost some good players like Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling, they can’t lose Bernardo Silva as well.
“I know Pep comes out and says things like ‘I won’t stop them leaving’ but he is the sort of player you cannot afford to let go.
“I understand if he might want to try a different league and play for Barcelona, it’s a very attractive club and they are signing some good players.
“If I was the manager I’d say ‘No, we haven’t got a replacement for the sort of player you are’.”
Silva started City’s 3-1 loss to Liverpool in the Community Shield but was dropped to the bench for their 2-0 win over West Ham in their opening Premier League game of the season.
He has scored 48 times and provided a further 50 assists in 251 appearances across all competitions for Guardiola’s side.