By Frank McAvennie

14th Nov, 2022 | 12:55pm

Pundit 'can't believe' Kalvin Phillips after Man City latest - 'it baffles me'

Frank McAvennie is baffled that Kalvin Phillips has made the World Cup squad when he hasn’t been playing for Man City.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the former West Ham striker insisted Phillips should not have been included in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man squad for the tournament in Qatar.

The 26-year-old has made four appearances for City so far this season and has been out of action since September after picking up a shoulder injury that required surgery.

The midfielder returned to action of the Sky Blues on Wednesday (9 November) where he played 40 minutes of their 2-0 Carabao Cup win over Chelsea.

The England international was an unused substitute in the 2-1 defeat to Brentford on Saturday (12 November).

On Friday (11 November), Southgate named his England squad for the World Cup that included the recently fit midfielder.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

As quoted by the Manchester Evening News (8 November), Phillips said he went through his recovery as fast as possible to be fit for the tournament and insisted everything is “going great”.

McAvennie can’t understand how Phillips can be included in the squad when he has played so few games this season.

How he has been called into the England squad I do not know,” he told Football Insider.

It baffles me. He is not getting a game for Man City but he is earning huge money.

Pep has got an England midfielder who cannot get a game. That is baffling to me how he is going to the World Cup. People were saying [James] Maddison should not be going but he is one of the best players there.

In other news, an insider has hit back as Man City ‘amazed’ by ‘miraculous’ Kyle Walker development.