Pundit issues '100%' Allan McGregor claim as new Rangers details emerge
Allan McGregor will “100 per cent” know he will be Rangers’ second-choice goalkeeper for the 2022-23 season, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker claimed McGregor may not like it but will get his head around the new role as he will have had few other offers to continue his career.
Rangers confirmed on Monday (20 June) that the 40-year-old had signed a new one-year deal at Ibrox.
The Rangers Review reported on Wednesday (22 June) that Giovanni van Bronckhorst had been a driving force behind the new deal.
Asked whether McGregor will have to come to terms with a new role in the 2022-23 season, Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley: “It’s hard.
“He won’t want to be number two but as his age, if you’re offered the chance to still be at Rangers you’d get your head around it.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Five or six years ago, he probably never thought he’d still be a player at Rangers. At his age to still be involved at the club, I think he’ll be more than happy.
“100 per cent, they would have talked about it. They might have said ‘You’re not guaranteed to be number one but you can continue at Rangers’.
“Ltt’s be honest, if Rangers said ‘You’re not having a deal’ I don’t see another club looking at him in the Premier League or Championship.
“He probably thought ‘I’ll be number two and get on with it’.”
Jon McLaughlin, 34, played 16 times across all competitions in the 2021-22 season.
McGregor replaced him in the final minute of the Scottish Cup final victory over Hearts last month (14 May) in what looked like a farewell appearance.
In other news, Wolves are working on beating Rangers to a buy-to-loan deal.