By Gabriel Agbonlahor

26th Jun, 2022 | 11:22am

Pundit issues emphatic Richard Arnold verdict as new Man United claim emerges

Richard Arnold was “naive” to think Man United fans would not record his conversation with them, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, Aston Villa’s record Premier League goalscorer insisted Arnold was just speaking the truth when he lambasted Man United’s record in the transfer market.

The new Man United chief executive, 51, was informed fans would be protesting outside his house and opted to meet them in a nearby pub to stop the protest last Saturday (18 June).

He asked for the conversation not to be filmed but footage was leaked of him admitting the 2021-22 season had been a “nightmare” and the club had “burned” £1billion in player transfers.

“Now you have to be careful with what you are saying on text messages, out and about,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

“Everyone could sneakily record you so you’ve got to be careful with what you are saying.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“He’s just been caught saying what he feels. It happened to Sam Allardyce, he was recorded. This is the problem.

“But what he said is how he feels. Maybe it’s naive for him to be speaking like that.

“He’s not said anything out of line, it’s the truth. The amount of money they have lost is true. He’s not lied about anything, it’s all pretty standard.”

Arnold replaced Ed Woodward as chief executive of United in February.

They are yet to make a signing this summer under new manager Erik ten Hag.

In other news, Kieran Maguire can’t believe a Man United “myth” as a £600million announcement is on the cards.