Mauricio Pochettino is not interested in becoming the new Everton manager, Football Insider has learned.
The Argentine, 47, is available after being sacked by Tottenham last month following a hugely successful five-and-a-half year reign.
An Everton source has told Football Insider that the club have reached out to Pochettino via third parties as they step up their new manager search but he has rejected their approach.
Pochettino is believed to be seeking a more prominent position at an elite European club capable of winning trophies.
He has said since his Spurs dismissal he is eager to return to management in Europe, but it is expected he will hold off on taking a new post until next summer.
Everton are working their way through an increasingly long managerial shortlist that includes ex-boss David Moyes, Shanghai SIPG manager Vitor Pereira and Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti as well as Getafe’s Jose Bordalas.
Football Insider revealed yesterday that Bordeaux manager Paulo Sousa is also on their radar after transforming the fortunes of the Ligue 1 side.
Moyes’ return is being championed by longstanding chairman Bill Kenwright, but owner Farhad Moshiri has his doubts about the Scot’s capabilities to mould an attractive and successful side.
The Merseysiders are in the market for a new manager after they sacked Marco Silva on Thursday night following a wretched start to the season.
Duncan Ferguson will take caretaker charge for today’s lunchtime home clash against Chelsea.
In other Everton news, it can be REVEALED how senior players were left sniggering behind the back of senior club official.